Arthritis in back (no apparent improvement)

I just prayed for a guy at work with arthritis in his back. From his response, I would say there was no obvious improvement. I would have followed Art Thomas's practice of repeatedly laying on hands but the guy asked me to keep him in my prayers, which kind of ended the whole thing.

I need to come up with a rebuttal for that response. Yes, I can "keep them in my prayers," but we're not commanded to pray for the sick (with the possible exception of James 5); we're command to heal the sick. Caring for the sick is also very clearly expected of us, so I don't think that responding by saying, "No, I won't keep you in my prayers because that's unbiblical," is the appropriate reaction.

UPDATE: I prayed for his back again, later in the day. Still no improvement.

Comments