Didn't pray because of social constraint or fear

I work in a large Christian organization. In our "chapel" time this morning, someone I know who was in a section of seats close to me groaned and passed out. His wife and a few others managed to lay him down.

I could get out at the other end of my row and walk around the back of my small section of chairs to get to him, but I did not. There were three or four people there already. Someone was on a phone. Someone else had left the auditorium to get help.

I am scared I will offend people and that the offense they suffer will be for nothing if healing does not happen. And perhaps I am scared of looking like an idiot, some super-spiritual person with no concern for the feelings of others.

I prayed in my seat for the unconscious man, and I asked God to help me to be bold. I opened the BibleGateway verse of the day begging God to tell me what to do. It was Matthew 7:7-8, which is about asking and receiving and which comes right before the verses about how God will give good things to those who ask him (the parallel verse in Luke 11:15 says he will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him). So I finally got up the resolve to get up and walk around to pray for him.

I got out of the row but the security team came in with a wheelchair right in front of me. Now there was a group of people around him helping him in a socially expected way, so I did nothing.

I did nothing, and I am deeply ashamed.

I didn't see anyone respond by praying for him. The executive giving the message kept right on speaking.

I've been listing to a Wimber video the last few days. In it, he says the following:

We look at crippling diseases today and often piously shake our heads and speak all the trite absurdities of an unthinking people by saying, "Well it's the will of God," and, "You know, it's hard to understand the will of God, and these things and we'll understand it better when we get to heaven." And these platitudes, uttered usually with sonorous religious tones, are an abomination to a God of mercy and love who has given us the authority to work the works of Jesus and prophesied himself that we would do them; and we must come to grips with the fact that we've been a disobedient people, sinful and resistant to holy God and to his work. Our theology becomes bankrupt in the light of this. Our hands are tied, our minds confused, our eyes blurred. We have become comatose Christians asleep at the post in the time of conflict and warfare. (link)

For all my talk, if I do nothing when someone is sick—if I do not lay hands on them and ask for healing—I am no better than those people Wimber describes. By inaction, I become a functional secessionist and deny the words of Christ that we will do the works he did.

Oh God, forgive me! Forgive me, and in your love an mercy, rescue me. Enable me to do as I should. Give me boldness, Lord! Give me love, Lord! Give me wisdom, Lord! 

Comments